The most logical fare for a Nautical/Cruise Night gala would be seafood of any type. Here are a couple of suggestions – some could be used as appetizers, while others are more of a main entrée option.
• Angel hair pasta with shrimp and basil
• Seafood stirfry
• Shrimp cocktail
• Flounder with crabmeat stuffing
Another adult friendly dish would be a large Popeye’s spinach pie! Your guests will be breaking out in the “Popeye the Sailorman” theme song in no time – guaranteed!
If you will be serving children at your event, they have a bit of a different taste when it comes to festive foods, so here are a couple choices for the younger shipmates.
• Blue jello with gummy fish floating in it
• Serve punch out of a large punch bowl – don’t forget to add the floating toy sailboat on top!
• Make beach boats by placing a slice of apple on each plate. Cut a cheese slice in half at an angle and place that like a sail on the plate. Add some peanut butter to the apple slice and add a few raisins as the people on the boat.
If cake is the dessert of choice, a simple and sweet cake is as easy as this! Frost a double layer round cake with light beige frosting. Sprinkle big grain brown sugar over it – a striking resemblance to sand! You can then add some doll beach chairs and umbrellas, or just a few plastic seagulls to keep it simple. Use your imagination and round up those old toys to keep with the theme.
Decorate your tables with Nautical Table Decorations, including festive tableware!