You can create a treasure chest cake for your pirate themed party in no time!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• 3 frozen pound cakes
• 1 16 oz. container of ready to spread chocolate frosting
• 1 – 4 oz. tube of yellow frosting with a flat decorator tip
• Chocolate chips
• Gummy Ring (to make the latch)
• A bounty of goodies to spill from the chest including Toss Beads, Coins, and assorted candy
• One cake board
• 1-2 bags of brown sugar (sand)
Stack two cakes on top of each other, trimming the top of the bottom one if necessary to make them sit flat. Place the cake on a water gossamer covered cake board. Frost the base with chocolate frosting. The third cake will be used for the lid. To form the wedges that prop the lid open, trim the lid creating two wedges, one for either side of the cake. Add the wedges to the top of the base, and frost them. Next, frost the top and sides of the lid. Using a spatula, gently move the lid and position it on top of the wedges. Then frost any remaining portion of the underside of the lid that is visible. Draw wood grain lines in the chocolate frosting with a toothpick.
Next, outline the treasure chest with the yellow frosting and add chocolate chip nails and a gummy ring latch. Sprinkle brown sugar sand, and add the pirate loot to the treasure chest and surrounding sand.
• Serve Goldfishtm, submarine sandwiches, chicken legs or sunken treasure nuggets (chicken nuggets.), tater tots, and cheese or fruit sword kabobs. The little buccaneers might also enjoy fish ‘n’ chips.
• As an alternative, set up a baked potato bar with lots of toppings that would appeal to children…cheese, bacon crumbles, etc. For a pirate twist, cut the potatoes in half. Let the kids decorate skull and crossbones masts, and use a wooden skewer to set the potato boat a sail!
• As the excitement is so high at children’s birthday parties, most children under the age of 10 will eat very little, and the waste can be disheartening. Schedule your party during a time when parents will not expect that their children will eat a meal…and serve only cake, ice cream, and a few other munchies.
Serve your cake and food on Pirates of the Caribbean Dinner Plates and other coordinating tableware and decorate with pirate table decorations!